Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Tears from morning til night...



A wonderful and emotional day it was today as James and Kennedy visisted the Yangzhou Children's Welfare Institute. They arrived on the bus this morning and were welcomed at the orphanage by a crowd of people from Yangzhou and drums...there were about 20 girls James said who were announcing their arrival to the town by loud drums. They shook hands with people as they got off the bus and were warmly welcomed by dignitaries and the staff at the orphanage. They were lion dances, fireworks and it was just incredible. They felt like celebrities.

From what I understand there were speeches and gifts given to the children. James said it was very touching and there was not a dry eye in the place.

For lunch they made dumplings, which he said were delicious, and they had some soup and fruit as well.

They than made their way through the orphanage and met many children. Kennedy was in the baby room picking up all the kids, giving each one as much attention as she could in the time they had. Kennedy has a very soft heart and I knew this would be a tough time. When you see the children right in front of you it is just so heartbreaking. James said she asked him...why can't we bring them home? They need a family too. It is just not fair.
I remember when we visited Colby's orphanage(our son) I was just heartbroken as I went from child to child as they lie in their cribs...bottles propped up in their mouths and each one deserving to have a family of their own. I cried and cried and will never forget that day. That day really made me realize I needed to do whatever I could to help each one of them find their forever family.

Kennedy played with the children and they spent a nice afternoon together.

At one point of the day, each of the kids were called to see their adoption files. When I had adopted Kennedy we didn't receive a picture at referral time. We only received their name, birthdate and where they were. In Kennedy's file they had a picture of her the day she was found and brought to the orphanage. They gladly gave her the picture and I am thrilled for Kennedy that she is able to have that. I can't wait to see it. James said she is just days old and is adorable.

Kennedy was wearing the T-Shirt I had made for her. I had ordered it especially for today. It is red and has Yangzhou 1995 on the front top with her baby picture I had taken the 1st day I received her in Yangzhou and underneath the picture is her chinese name. Yang, Dongni. In the back is her name KENNEDY and Yangzhou Re-Union 2009. I figured it would be a great way for the orphanage staff to know who she was and what she looked like when she lived there.

Here is her picture on her T-Shirt:






Lo and behold..a lady approached Kennedy and she told her that she was her nanny and that she took care of her many years ago. How wonderful is that. James took her name(Zhou, Yi)and information and we will write to her and keep her updated as Kennedy grows..

James said there were so many times during the day where tears were flowing and everyone was so emotional. He said if I had been there I would have been crying all day.

There were many gifts brought for the kids and the orphanage but sadly they were not personally given to to the kids. They were collected prior to arriving at the orphanage and all the gifts and donations were given to the director, I guess to be opened later. I guess there were too many to open right there and there was a lot going on.

They had a nice dinner..American Buffet and than headed back to the hotel. James said he was exhausted and just so drained emotionally. Kennedy sounds like she really enjoyed her day. I can't imagine what is going on in her head. I know many times before she left she told me..perhaps when we go to Yangzhou that her birth mother would be there and she could see how well she is doing..She would really love to meet her birthmom. I know the chances are slim..but one day I wish that she could. Of all of our children she the most wants to see her birthmom and know who she comes from. If she does want to pursue it more when she gets older we will of course try to help in any way we can.

James is to go shopping with some of the staff in the next few days to buy pots and a microwave or whatever they need...he will be speaking with the director for that.

So another incredible day to this journey to Yangzhou..

Here is there agenda for tomorrow:

Morning - Attend some cultural events in a local park, including a puppet show, paper-cutting, fly kites and learn to make the famous Yangzhou fried rice for lunch.

Afternoon - Visit Slender West Lake scenic area



Visit and have dinner at a local families home.

Sounds like fun!!!

With every update from James I wish more and more that I had gone. I knew it was going to be something very special..but now I feel I just should have been there as well.


Take care all,
Karen

3 comments:

  1. Reading that gave me chills...I am So happy that Kennedy was able to attend this incredibly special event. It will be with her forever.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you didn't go too Karen. That photo of Kennedy on her shirt is amazing. How adorable she was then (and still is! ;D) And that is just like her mom to make her a special tshirt for this day! Maybe her birthmom was in the crowd meeting the bus and even though she didn't come forth, saw her. How proud she must be, but also so sad to not know Kennedy all these years. I am so glad she met her nanny. Reading about this day brought tears to my eyes too. Some things are just so bittersweet. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly incredible trip this is.... One of the heart really.

    I am so touched to be reading and following along on this emotional journey.

    Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete